Floating hangar

ca. 1920-1930

The U.S. Navy experimented with lighter-than-air ships during the 1920s and 30s. Based at Lakehurst Naval Airstation in New Jersey these vessels needed special hangars for protection. One proposed solution was to create a shallow pond and float a hangar on it that could pivot around a central point, to enable the airship to enter from any point on the compass.

National Archives, Records of the Bureau of Aeronautics


Tags