The United States Army has maintained a presence at West Point on the Hudson River since the Revolutionary War. Defenses here prevented the British from dividing the New England States from the rest of the country along the line of the Hudson River. The second session of the first congress authorized the purchase of this land in 1790 for the defense of the nation. It later became home to the United States Military Academy.
National Archives, General Records of the U.S. Government